Start a new topic
Answered

Seaboard block as controller via MIDI patchbay?

I have just purchased a Seaboard block, but realized I probably should have asked this question before doing so: I'm assuming the USB MIDI out on the block is a typical implementation and I can connect it to my performance rig through my MIDI patchbay (iConnectivity Mio 10)? 

I'm currently connecting all my existing devices  to the patchbay via the regular old 5-pin DIN connectors, but the Mio has USB inputs too - will I be able to connect the block to one of them and then be able to use it to control my iPad and other synths via MIDI in the regular way? I will also need to use an adapter from USB-C to the square USB-B, so will that work? 

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

p.s. I don't even have the instrument in my possession yet, but thought I'd get a head start by asking now. 

Best Answer

Hi Allison, 

The Seaboard Block is a class-compliant USB MIDI device so it can be connected it to your iConnectivity patchbay. 

It looks like there's one USB Host Jack on the rear panel of the mio10, so use this to connect the Seaboard Block. The USB cable that comes with the Block will work fine. 

While we wouldn't be able to advise further as we haven't got a mio10 to test, I hope this helps in some way!

Jay

Answer

Hi Allison, 

The Seaboard Block is a class-compliant USB MIDI device so it can be connected it to your iConnectivity patchbay. 

It looks like there's one USB Host Jack on the rear panel of the mio10, so use this to connect the Seaboard Block. The USB cable that comes with the Block will work fine. 

While we wouldn't be able to advise further as we haven't got a mio10 to test, I hope this helps in some way!

Jay

1 person likes this

Yes, that is the info I was looking (and hoping) for! Thanks for the quick reply!

Hi again - I have a follow-up question. When using the Block to control another device, how do I set what channel the Block transmits MIDI on? Is that done via the Dashboard software? I don't have the Dashboard yet because I'm waiting on a license transfer so I can download it, and it's unclear to me from the documentation whether the settings done via dashboard are saved to the block even after disconnecting from the computer you've used to change the settings. (e.g. - I connect to my computer, open the dashboard, set the transmit channel to 5, then disconnect it from the computer and connect the block to my live rig via my patchbay as described above - will the Block still be transmitting on Ch. 5 at that point?)

Hi Alison, thanks for the follow-up. 

Yes that's right - BLOCKS' MIDI settings are configured in ROLI Dashboard and the last configurations are remembered when disconnected.  

Thanks, 

Jay

1 person likes this

Excellent, thanks!!

i want to connect the block directly to an Argon8 Synth since its got new MPE features.

Or maybe thru a sequencer. Not sure how to do it. Is there such thing like an adaptor so the seaboard block outputs midi to a normal DIN midi cable?

Login to post a comment