Start a new topic

Stacking multiple Lightpads as one big playing surface

Hey all, I just got my first Lightpad yesterday and really love it. However, the range is too limited so I would like to connect multiple pads and use them as one big playing surface. My questions are:

1. Will notes on adjacent blocks continue chromatically? So will the block above the main one start on C#? If not natively, can I set that manually? Since it starts on a sharp note, it isn't possible to use a church mode to fake the starting note because the starting note should not be highlighted.

2. Will glides work from one block to another vertically connected one? Or will it reset and play the note touched on the new Block?

3. Will slides work from one block to another horizontally connected one?

Hiya, hope I can help here :)

1. The notes will continue chromatically, so if you attach a second Lightpad above the main one, the bottom left note will be C#. If you attach it to the right it will continue so that the bottom left is F. The nice thing is that the second Lightpad will continue the light pattern correctly, for example so that the C# will not be lit up. The second Lightpad will also copy the Key and Scale settings of the first. 

2/3. Unfortunately a Slide or Glide from one Lightpad to another will stop the note on the first and trigger a new note on the second. This is a bit of a limitation to the Lightpads but I usually find I can work around it. You might want to try 'Hide Mode' on Dashboard which removes out-of-scale notes but will let you achieve bigger bends.

Thanks,

Jared

Hi Jared, thanks for your reply.

1. That is awesome! That makes life easy.

2/3. Too bad. Using Arturia Pigments, I figured out glide is relative to the location on the pad. So notes high on the pad start with a high value of Glide and can only go down, whereas low notes start with a low value and can only go up. For another pad above this one, the low notes are higher but the glide value starts lower. This may turn out problematic. For instance, if I set glide to filter cutoff, the highest C on the bottom pad will have the filter completely cut off, whereas the next C#, on the top pad, will start with the filter completely off.

Ah I'm assuming you mean Slide rather than Glide, but you might want to try playing with the Slide Mode of the Lightpad on Dashboard, it sounds like you're on Absolute but would be better off with Relative Bipolar or Unipolar, where all notes will start at the same value no matter where they sit on the grid.

Give it a try and see what works best :)

I did mean Glide, not Slide. I discovered in Roli Studio Player Glide is neutral regardless of where I play on the Lightpad. But for notes low on the Lightpad one can only glide up, and vice versa for high notes. This is different from the Linnstrument, where the Y-axis is a sort of wiggle.

With MIDI, Glide is sent as CC 74, and its value depends on where on the Lightpad I play (on the Y-axis). Glide controls Macro 1 of Pigments, and if I play a note high up, M 1 is high, and low for a low note.

I guess it is designed this way because it transfers from the Seaboard, where playing high up and down low in this way makes sense.

Oh wow, I mixed them up (the web page "What is 5D Touch?" was down so I could not check it). You are right and this totally works! When I set it to Relative Unipolar, any given note sends out a value of 0 on CC 74, and sliding either up or down increases the value up to 127. In Bipolar it sends at 64 and sliding up and down alters it accordingly. Thanks, this works great! I think Unipolar works best for me.

Login to post a comment