Start a new topic
Answered

using seaboard block with Vj software

I come from a design/Vj background, and right now experimenting with controlling various elements in my vj software -VDMX5 & MadMapper- it is a bit tricky but works, would like to know if anyone has experience in this matter.

Best Answer

That sounds like a great idea. While we don't have that software to try out here, I'd be happy to get you all the info you need to understand what the Seaboard is sending so that you can map it up to any other apps you like. 

A good first port of call is the 5D touch signals, which I'll paste below. It's worth knowing that by default the Seaboard will send these messages on a note-per-channel basis. Depending on what you want to do with those signals, it might be worth setting your Seaboard to single channel mode in ROLI Dashboard, which will simplify the channels being used down to just the one. 

So, your typical Seaboard Block note will consist of the following elements:

Note name – this will be the MIDI note that you first strike.

Strike – this is the initial force with which you contact the keywaves and is transmitted as note-on velocity.

Press – this is the continuous measurement of pressure on the keywaves throughout the note, and it is transmitted as channel pressure (aftertouch).

Glide – this is the full range of left/right gestures from vibrato to glissando. It is transmitted as pitch bend and uses a minimum range of +/- 2 semitones. The range can be set in ROLI Dashboard and it equates to the number of semitones across which the 14bit pitch bend signal is distributed. For example if you set a range of 48 semitones, you'll see that you can move your finger a full 48 semitones up or down from the starting note to reach the full range. If your plan is to use this as a VJ controller, you might consider setting a shorter pitch bend range, since the Seaboard Block's full range is 24 semitones.

Slide – this is the front/back dimension and is transmitted by CC74 (brightness)

Slide is not supported by the Seaboard GRAND.

Lift – this is the speed at which you end contact with the keywave. It is transmitted as note-off (release) velocity.

You might also want to try using MIDI monitor (you'll find something similar in most DAWs too) to see the MIDI signals from the Seaboard so that you can match them up to the controls in VDMX5. Let me know how you get on! If you have any follow-up questions, post them here and we'll see what we can do! 

Answer

That sounds like a great idea. While we don't have that software to try out here, I'd be happy to get you all the info you need to understand what the Seaboard is sending so that you can map it up to any other apps you like. 

A good first port of call is the 5D touch signals, which I'll paste below. It's worth knowing that by default the Seaboard will send these messages on a note-per-channel basis. Depending on what you want to do with those signals, it might be worth setting your Seaboard to single channel mode in ROLI Dashboard, which will simplify the channels being used down to just the one. 

So, your typical Seaboard Block note will consist of the following elements:

Note name – this will be the MIDI note that you first strike.

Strike – this is the initial force with which you contact the keywaves and is transmitted as note-on velocity.

Press – this is the continuous measurement of pressure on the keywaves throughout the note, and it is transmitted as channel pressure (aftertouch).

Glide – this is the full range of left/right gestures from vibrato to glissando. It is transmitted as pitch bend and uses a minimum range of +/- 2 semitones. The range can be set in ROLI Dashboard and it equates to the number of semitones across which the 14bit pitch bend signal is distributed. For example if you set a range of 48 semitones, you'll see that you can move your finger a full 48 semitones up or down from the starting note to reach the full range. If your plan is to use this as a VJ controller, you might consider setting a shorter pitch bend range, since the Seaboard Block's full range is 24 semitones.

Slide – this is the front/back dimension and is transmitted by CC74 (brightness)

Slide is not supported by the Seaboard GRAND.

Lift – this is the speed at which you end contact with the keywave. It is transmitted as note-off (release) velocity.

You might also want to try using MIDI monitor (you'll find something similar in most DAWs too) to see the MIDI signals from the Seaboard so that you can match them up to the controls in VDMX5. Let me know how you get on! If you have any follow-up questions, post them here and we'll see what we can do! 

there is something strange that my knowledge can not help me understand, but the channel that each key sends to, it changes over time, or maybe it is something I do unwaveringly,.. 

when I map some sliders on my software -VDMX5- after a while I fins some sliders grouped together and some others lose their mapping, with the midid monitor I saw the channel change I mentioned.

also when I map to a slider, sometimes it sees the key as a pitch wheel and with a certain press while mapping it sees it as a regular slider.

pointers please

cheers

Hi Kareem,

By default, MPE instruments like the Seaboard and BLOCKS send each note on a different MIDI channel in order to allow 5D expression polyphonically. As Dave wrote, "It's worth knowing that by default the Seaboard will send these messages on a note-per-channel basis. Depending on what you want to do with those signals, it might be worth setting your Seaboard to single channel mode in ROLI Dashboard, which will simplify the channels being used down to just the one."

For more on MPE, see this article. If you do want to only use one MIDI channel, you may use ROLI Dashboard to set your Seaboard Block to single channel mode.

If you're using "MIDI learn" to map the Seaboard Block's keywaves to your software, note that the mapping will likely treat the last MIDI message sent as the MIDI message to map. Depending on your gesture, the Seaboard may sometimes send channel pressure after CC 74 after pitch bend, or it may send these in a different order. You can either experiment with different gestures, or you can use ROLI Dashboard to set "Glide and Slide Tracking" to Disabled, or set "Press Tracking" to Disabled, depending on what dimension of touch you'd like to map to your software.

Red

Login to post a comment