Start a new topic

WIndows 10 April Update Support

I understand Microsoft made some updates/fixes to Bluetooth in the April update that was recently released.

Does this address past compatibility issues with Blocks so us WIndows 10 (Surface Book) users can cut that USB cord soon?...

Thanks & Keep up the great work,

-Tom

1 person likes this idea

Hi Tom, 

A previous update to Windows 10 introduced MIDI-over-Bluetooth support, although in our testing it hasn't yet proven to be robust enough to handle the MIDI data of BLOCKS and Seaboards. We'll continue testing, though, and do whatever is possible on our end. 

Thanks,

Red

2 people like this

It would be great!!

If you'd like to use a workaround to get limited performance via MIDI-over-Bluetooth on Windows, you might be interested in checking out this creator video:

Hi all again, Could de have some info on the exact protocol used? Is it the standard BLE-midi? And if so I suppose a device like this would make it? https://os.mbed.com/users/popcornell/code/MIDI-to-BLE-MIDI-bridge/ Thx

An observation i neglected to cite:

Fishman Tripleplay works flawlessly on windows 10. Would approaching them for licensing be an avenue for ROLI?

Hi Kevin, 

The Fishman Tripleplay, to the best of my knowledge, uses a proprietary wireless dongle to connect to the PC rather than Bluetooth, in the same way that most wireless guitar and Mic systems work. Bluetooth is still not an ideal choice for wireless playing where timing and accuracy are key, due to the latency and reliability issues that are inherent in current Bluetooth technology, which is why the vast majority of live wireless systems transmit audio via radio frequencies.

The workaround suggested by Red will allow limited performance for MIDI-over-Bluetooth on Windows, but the support on Windows is still proving to not be robust enough to handle the MIDI data of BLOCKS and Seaboards.

Thanks,

Marcus

thanks for the reply. 

in addressing the tripleplay in this scenario i hoped to stir the creative minds of engineers for a solution to the ongoing issue for windows customers not having wireless capability. roli had to have coordinated with apple for its wireless to be "robust" and it's reasonable tot assume the same would've been/is being done with microsoft.

if a "dongle" is what's required to make a seaboard wireless with windows then i'm in 100%; contact me the hour it's available and it's off-to-the-races!

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment