Start a new topic

A Seaboard RISE61

I would love to see a larger RISE. A 61 or even 88 keywave RISE!

20 people like this idea

Yes, a 61 keywave please.

7 people like this

My speculation is part of why it hasn't been done yet is some overlap with the GRAND range's keys (those still have a strength insofar as a built-in sound engine so they can be played standalone without a computer), but time will tell...

Yes, I definitely want a 61 keywave RISE too!

3 people like this

Yes please!  You could connect several blocks together but each block must be charged separately and if You want a sustain pedal it's not just to plug it in.

Maybe a similar solution as with Blocks could work - make a new Rise with 36 or 48 waves and attachable Rise blocks with 24 waves. Then You can easily archive 3-5-7 octaves (or 4-6-8 octaves). The attachable Blocks would not need any batteries to keep the cost down. 

Now the 61 key GRAND is no longer in production, a 5D 88 key controller is definitely on my to buy list, maybe a 61 if my dollar doesn't stretch that far.

Yep, a 61- or 88-key 5D for sure, mostly to add the option to use  key switching for sample libraries with fixed key switches.

+1 for a Rise 61. If it would exist I would go to the shop today, wile regarding the Rise 49, I am still a bit reluctant.

-Michael

I vote for a connectable standalone 5D 88 keys getting the best of Rise & Grand, I'm pretty sure you'd get easily financed in no time through an online funding campain... just saying ^^

A Rise 61 or 88 would be great. Anything less than 5 octaves is just a toy. Linux (Mint-Ubuntu) support is also essential.

1 person likes this

Guys, the reason seaboard has gotten smaller year after year (from the first Grand to the Blocks we have today) is that so many Keys are not needed in modern electronic music. I understand your wish, as a piano player myself, but trust me... I have a SR49 and I regret i didn't go for the 25 because this little gem of hardware excels at creating textures and you don't need a full sized keybed for that ; for solos you have the octave switcher which requires little practice to work with so you're pretty much covered.  Then I understand everybody has his own needs but  more than 49 is just gimmicky in my modest hopinion (and Roli knows that)

I agree there should be smaller sizes but were all used to playing and writing with 88, and a full range of tones. What we are after with the seaboard is those extra dimensions ontop of that.

If you mainly play in the key of C and/or mainly play only one "voice" at a time, the Rise 37 and 49 are fine. But if you want to play multiple voices in keys other than C, anything smaller than 61 is insufficient. This is why there are so many 61 note keyboards on the market. And historically, organs and harpsichords have usually had about 61 notes per keyboard. This is no surprise when you think about how 61 notes is just enough cover the entire standard range of most musical (and human) voices. With only 49 keys, in a key other than C, if you want to play both a melody and bass part together, the tonic in the bass becomes too high, or the melodic range ends up being too low, and this is awkwardly restrictive when playing big pads, orchestra parts, or multiple voices.

4 people like this

I agree with you but you have to understand that electronic music is heading to a context in which the smaller the better…  Seaboard is just a tool, one of many, and nobody is going to carry multiple 61 keybeds in a world where most people gig around with just a laptop and small midi devices. That's why Blocks are selling like hot cakes. I do understand your point of view but trust me, if there was market for a bigger model they'd sure done it

gerardo, no doubt the market is booming for desktop devices — mostly designed people with little or no keyboard training. But this does not necessarily mean that all the trained keyboardists have suddenly decided to stop playing properly sized keyboards. There's still an entire universe of pianos, synths, workstations, etc. with 61 keys or more. They're that big because people trained to play keyboard often like to use both hands, and you need more than 49 keys to play many keyboard sounds. And trying a split with only 49 keys (or less) is rather useless.

Any lack of success for the Seaboard cannot blamed on the keyboard market disappearing. That market isn't disappearing. Perhaps the Seaboard is just not satisfying the needs of the keyboard market, or maybe (like you) they've confused the keyboard market with these relatively small controllers with keys that are mainly used by 'desktop musicians' and not keyboardists.

2 people like this
Login to post a comment