Start a new topic
Answered

Can I get Juno-106 sounds from Cypher2?

Hello. I am newbie in sound synthesis, can someone explain, how to get Juno-106 sounds from Cypher2, or at least, something close to Juno-106 sounds? Is it real? Thank you.

Best Answer

Hi Kirill,
Cypher2 can create all manner for analogue sounds, Juno-106 included. However, it would help me to know what type of Juno sound you are after. For example, Juno-106's were used for bass, pads, stabs, plucks, so in order to help you, please let me know, which specific sound group you are after.

For example, let's look at a 'pad'.
Juno-106 has one oscillator and a sub-oscillator. For the purpose of this pad we will use just the main oscillator.

1. Load the default patch in Cypher2.

2. Create a longer AMP Envelope release, and create a soft AMP Envelope attack. Adjust to taste, but the idea is to have a basic starting sound which has a soft attack, and longer release. This release stage is important as it will create a lovely 'chorusing' effect as you start playing chords. All notes will inter-mix (poly-voice count permitting).

3. Now, look at the TransMod window slots on the top of Cypher's GUI and locate LFO2 -+.  Click on it, to highlight it. It should light up 'yellow'.

4. Move Oscillator 1 Wave knob to 65%. This should give as a Pulse Wave, or one of its variants (between 51% and 75% you have the Pulse wave and by varying the range here, you get various pulse widths)

5. Now, with that LFO-+ selected, assign a little bit of LFO2 modulation to the Osc Wave dial. You can do it to taste, but I'd recommend adding up to74% of LFO2 modualtion amount). Here, we are creating a classic analogue effect called PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). This is a superb effect when it comes to pads, especially on synths with one oscillator. PWM creates an illusion of an ensemble sound, or more than one oscillator, it makes the sound 'bigger', as it were.

6. Now, we need to go to LFO2 and change the Rate speed. So set the Rate to about 2.36 Hz. It could be slightly faster, if you wish. Don't make it too fast, nor too slow. The idea is that you hear a moderate LFO motion on that Wave knob. 

7. In the LFO2 module, make sure that you have the Triangle wave selected (Tri-C or Tri-S). A triangle wave is the classic wave used for PWM. So let's use that.

The above gives us a nice start, but, analogue synths, even those with DCO oscillators, like the Juno-106, have a certain lovely, 'organic' sound, which we need to somehow imitate in software. To do so we can add a few tricks, which will transform the basic waveform, and add subtle variation..

So..

9. Click on the first TransMod slot, where it says 'Rand-+'. Make sure it's highlighted in yellow.

10. assign it to Oscillator 1 Fine dial. Just a little bit, maybe until you see 0.32Hz.

11. Double-click the LFO1 transmod slot and look at the main visualiser on the GUI. 

Look at the Source, and on the right you will see:

LFO1 main out (unipolar)

Click in it, and select the following from the drop down menu:

LFO1 main out (bipolar)

This gives us LFO1-+.

12.  Now, we will assign this LFO1-+ to the master Fine dial. So let's do that. Just a little bit. Just so that you see some yellow mod range. If you want to be more specific, then, right click on the Fine dial, Select 'Snap' and then switch it OFF. Now, when you add this LFO1 mod to the Fine dial, move the mouse until you see +0.11st. 

13. Now, we need to go to the LFO1 module and adjust the rate and the wave. So first edit the rate to 4.64hz (it could be any number around 4 or 5 Hz)

14. Then edit the wave and select this: Rmp-Wht. This is a smooth random wave.

If you do it all correctly, you should end up with a bright pad which has a lovely, lush sound. 

You can now improve this sound further, add the chorus effect, which the Juno's were famous for. So:

15. Go to the Effect page and load Amber Chorus

16. Select the 1981 mode.

17. Set Speed to max, spread mono, or to taste. Mix level to max.

Alternative chorus sound:

18. Mode 1984, Speed at 79%, 'Spread' to taste

All of the above will give you a lush, smooth, bright, organic sounding Juno-style pad. Now, you can edit the filter to taste to make it darker. 

Try to do this as an exercise. 

Hi, Rafael! I found that Omnisphere has individual FX section for each of 8 voices. I tried my idea of reverb and it works in Omnisphere!

I completely understand you. Many of us here are like this too. Our imaginations overpower the poor little synths. :D

It's funny how many times I have seen people wanting to modulate effects when they are first exposed to 5D/MPE sounds. What we need, is a synth dedicated to it, ie: modulating effects. So that its main engine is not too complex, and well optimised, but where effects can be modulated polyphonically. I guess sample based synth should be good at this, since a sample uses minimal CPU compared to an analog modelled oscillator. Sample or wavetable....

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment