Start a new topic

Remote control of Dashboard parameters

I am using the seaboard 49 with Mainstage 3. I have a variety of patches and channel strips, within Mainstage, some of which use the Equator Synth engine as an input source, and others which use the Logic/Mainstage ESX24 sampler or one of the many other instruments available in Mainstage as an input source.

To make the Seaboard correctly control the Equator synth, I have to set the dashboard pitch bend range to 48. But, to correctly control most of the Logic/Mainstage instruments, I have to set the dashboard pitch bend range to 2.

I need some way to automatically change the dashboard pitch bend range when I call up the different patches in mainstage. Right now I have to have dashboard open as well as Mainstage and then jump between programs to make the dashboard pitch bend changes as the different channel strips require. This takes time between songs and opens up the door to user error with disastrous sonic consequences! I suppose with time I could re-create all of my channel strips to use the equator synth as an input (it is quite a powerful synth!), but that is not practical in the near future. So, what options do I have to be able to change the dashboard pitch bend range from within Mainstage? 

For that matter, it would be useful to be able to change the Dashboard  Mode settings and the Midi Settings remotely, via a sys exclusive command or CC message or Program change message, etc.

10 people like this idea

I have a very low-tech solution to this -- I gave up on having a Roli-centric home studio/performance setup, and now use the Roli for MPE synths (about half my kit) and a  "standard" controller for the rest. Not my original plan, but it is a pretty obvious way to "switch modes" very easily. 

I have an even more complex set of patches in Dashboard that I use with various instruments in MainStage. If I was able to send good old fashioned patch changes to Dashboard that would solve everything. Seem like a much more elegant and simple solution. I have a gig tonight that I was hoping to use my Rise 49 at but always think twice because of the need to flip between Dashboard and MainStage to have the correct set of parameter activated every time I use a different instrument. I am using Equator, Cypher 2, Kontakt and Omnisphere.

It would be really helpful if someone could post the exact format of each of the MIDI messages that can be used to control the RISE. Like, for instance, a Glide SysEx message is F0 00 21 10 78 3D 17 nn F7. I tried using MIDIOX to “spy“ on what the Dashboard sends to the RISE, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to set that up. Is there? Thanks...

Another angle:

Lightpads deserve some love, too, and they need a bit more diversity of control than Seaboard, because they sport all those "programs" you can load into them. And each program can have multiple "modes" (presets, if you will), where a user can save different setups of the parameters a program supplies on its EDIT tab.

Because each Lightpad program can have a completely different set of parameters it will be difficult to come up with a way to access the parameters directly. So my guess is that switching programs/modes might be more feasible here.

I'd like to switch between those programs. For example from Note Pad to Rise Controller or Control Grid (to name the 3 programs I routinely load) and set a mode - without having to visit Dashboard and click myself to the desired program and the mode I want. I wouldn't mind if Dashboard has to run in the background as middle man, but would rather keep focus on my DAW and access from there.

I have no insight, but I assume that Dashboard is needed as a middle man for this to work, because it has all the infrastructure to handle Blocks topology and load stuff into a specific Block. It would be necessary to have some way to transmit messages from the DAW to Dashboard. First thought would be a MIDI port in the Dashboard app which would come up in a DAW as MIDI output to Dashboard. Or maybe it's possible to send the messages on the existing MIDI out(s) that come up when a Block is connected. The Block could hand them over to Dashboard which then does its magic in return.

However it's done, some progress on this topic would be highly appreciated.

(Even if there was just a command to transpose the note grid, that would be a start ;) )

Bumping this topic. Using the Seaboard block here, it would definitely be a game changer to be able to use sysex to control its settings from the DAW.

Hi Arno,

Good question. Currently it's not possible to control the Seaboard Block's behavior using SysEx messages, although I definitely see the use case for this functionality, and we hope to look into this in the future.

Red

I'm using my Seaboard block directly with an microcontroller (Teensy 3.6, which can act as an USB host) without any computer. I would love to attach some buttons to the microcontroller to control the pressure sensitivity, pitch bend range, ...
Unfortunately I can't use JUCE on the 
microcontroller, is there any other way to control the seaboard?

Thanks, Arno

As with Peter, my use case is just switching profiles by name while using Blocks, and I'm guessing that would solve 90+% of the use cases for this. 

Really interesting comments above!

This is an issue for me because I'd like to perform with just the Roli keyboard, but have different modes of use for different synths and patches.

Since I have an iPad, I'm using Duet Display and then dragging Roli Dashboard there, and then can use my main computer screen fully for my daw and synth pages. So it's kind of like having a Dashboard iPad app in a way.

What I would love is a Block devoted to this -- several buttons that you can press that will instantly call up the modes on your Dashboard. (Maybe one of the existing Blocks could be customized to do this?)

It will be excellent if we'll have dashboard plugin to insert it on track, and have all of these params stored in song template

1 person likes this

I haven't tried it yet but I really like the idea of being able to use different tracking modes for different patches. I'm also going to try out controlling the Glide Sensitivity remotely, so I can use a pedal to choose between smoother glides and staying on pitch more easily. (Right now, I'm constantly reaching over on the left to adjust that.) I imagine it might be a little like (and not) using a pedal to control the Glide function on a MiniMoog.

Are there any (hidden and unsupported) ways to change the channel mode or turn MPE on and off remotely? I saw Frank G. asked about that but didn't see these included in your list of hidden and unsupported items. I regularly switch between newer and older synths with varying capabilities so this would be super helpful.

Lastly, in CC mode, I think it'd be nice to be able to update the slider LED display by sending the RISE regular MIDI messages (instead of SysEx) so we could easily have them reflect the correct value when another controller adjusts that parameter.

Hi John,

Please see instructions on manually resetting the RISE firmware below:

How to reset the firmware (MacOS)

1. Download the latest firmware version attached to this post.
  2. Download and install SysEx Librarian by Snoize – it's a free application which will help us to push the firmware file to the Seaboard.
  3. Connect the RISE to your computer by USB and – while holding both octave shift buttons – switch it on. After switching it on you can release the octave buttons.
  4. Launch the SysEx Librarian application.
  5. Drag the “latest firmware version” file from your “Downloads” folder into the SysEx Librarian window.
  6. At the top centre of Sysex Librarian, set the “Destination” to “Seaboard RISE”.
  7. Click once on the “RISE latest firmware version” file in Sysex Librarian.
  8. Press “Play” in SysEx Librarian.
  9. The RISE should automatically restart when completed, which may take 30 seconds. Make sure not to touch the RISE until it has fully completed restarting. It may appear to have turned off, but it should restart after several seconds.

How to reset the firmware (Windows)

1. Download the latest firmware version attached to this post.
  2. Download and install MIDIOX, a free application that will allow us to push files to the RISE
  3. Connect the RISE to your computer by USB and – while holding both octave shift buttons – switch it on
  4. Launch MIDIOX
  5. In MIDIOX, click Options ➝ MIDI Devices
  6. Under 'MIDI Outputs' select the Seaboard RISE
  7. Click OK
  8. Click Actions ➝ Send ➝ SysEx File
  9. A window will open. Navigate to the RISE latest firmware version file and click open
  10. The update will only take 20-30 seconds and you'll see a screen with some text on it when it is complete. Make sure not to touch the RISE until the process has fully completed. 
  11. Restart the RISE
syx
(79.6 KB)

3 people like this

Good Stuff. I don't work a lot with SysEx MIDI messages so there is a risk I might make a mistake .

To be safe, before I start I'd like to understand how to "manually reinstall the firmware" in the unlikely event that something goes wrong.

Thank you,Red :)

Thank you, Red. Very important information 
Login to post a comment