Start a new topic

Native Equator VST plugin for Linux

It would be amazing to have Linux as a supported platform for the VST plugin. It seems that I currently have to run the Windows VST through Wine for it to work with Ardour.

33 people like this idea

I'll pull the code and, assuming I can slice out some time, I'll see what I can contribute to it. Thanks for getting this started.

4 people like this

Yep, I don't ask for the complete source code of Equator (probably awesome ;-),

Linux binaries (vst ?) would be enough ! Linux is all about stability

3 people like this

I've heard rumors that the ROLI Grand is actually running a ARM/Linux-version of Equator and Felipe Tonello was contributing to Linux regarding MIDI over BLE. In fact, this video from him helped me make the decision to buy a Seboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKnC9_Buxus

And when I got it, I wrote a mail to the support and they told me, that no Linux version is planned. This is really annoying. This software is written in JUCE, which supports Linux and even JACK. Why not offer a Linux beta without support to their paying customers?

Stable audio with Windows is a hassle. Arch Linux, Jack, and Bitwig are rock-solid compared to that and offer a great platform for MPE recording and editing. But despite BitWig offering a couple of MPE instruments, they don't reach the quality of Equator. 

I have experiences coding in JUCE and I'd even offer trying to port Equator for free (of course under an NDA regarding the source code)...

3 people like this

+1 for linux VSTs~

2 people like this

Regarding a linux dashboard for the Seaboard Rise: I've started this little project.

https://github.com/MrBollie/RiseConfigGtk

I asked ROLI for a CC map in order to get it working, but they wrote, they cannot supply that. So I did some reverse engineering, using Wireshark, which was really cumbersome.

So far, only the sliders are working. All the other fancy stuff you see on the lower area of ROLI Dashboard isn't working yet. I'm also lacking the time to continue with this little project.

And another issue is, that you can't use my Dashboard, while another host is connected to the Seaboard. Perhaps it's something, that can be fixed by using ALSA the proper way. Or using jack.

2 people like this

I'd also like to see this!

2 people like this

I really love my seaboard BLOCK and 2 month ago i bought the lightpad as well. But now i am selling them.

I would like to have something bigger like Roil 49 for example. And the main reason for giving up with ROLI - Linux support. This is literally unbelivable - JUCE is complitely cross platform. One of the devs (now works for ROLI) has made a greate job to integrate MIDI over BLE into Bluez. And he had Equator working just fine under ArchLinux on his video. So basically ROLI HAS it. Sorry but this is absolutely stupid behaivior. What will be the next ? Paid firmware upgrades ? Roli simply not a customer oriented company.

there are only two operation system which works fine when it comes to realtime sound processing OSX and Linux. Me and all my friends are using linux for audio. I boot into OSX just for Roli - for what i need to experiance such an inconvinience when i can simply get rid of this "Blocking" equipment. 

2 people like this

Hello! I've had some success running Equator inside Bitwig on Linux using LinVst: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst. I followed the process described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DwZ-DuJoEE, except using Equator instead. Still working on getting extra content libraries to load though. Obviously native linux would definitely be preferable, but it works surprisingly well right as is!

1 person likes this

Hello! I currently have Equator working with Bitwig on a freshly updated Arch Linux install as of May 22nd using LinVst: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst Takes a little work to set up but it's running well right now! I followed partly the documentation and partly this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DwZ-DuJoEE

1 person likes this

+1

Actually since the existing binaries probably use JUCE, everything should be available under Linux !

1 person likes this

Pretty amazing that Felipe has more than 1000 subscribers, when his only video is showing that he got Roli hardware and software run under Linux.

1 person likes this

+1 I do most of my audio in Linux these days, since IMO MacOS has been more bloated and cumbersome. Considering that nearly all Linux VSTs are ported with JUCE, it seems quite odd that the people who own JUCE have no desire or intention to make their own software cross-platform. It would be a great example of "eating your own dogfood", as marketers so colorfully put it.  

I agree with @Thomas Ebeling - no doubt some rudimentary port exists, and making it available even as an indefinite unsupported beta would go a long way to demonstrating some goodwill. After all, these are people trying to establish your product on a growing platform. There are quite a few open source users as well as Bitwig and Waveform customers who would buy a license to use on Linux.

1 person likes this

@Red, thank you for the clarification about the audio quality on mobile devices. While I would personally prefer the freedom to choose whether or not to accept risk of diminished audio quality, I can see where this would not be the mindset of the majority customer base and can understand the rationale behind the decision from a business perspective. 

With mobiles aside, it's good to know that these threads are actually being read, and I do hope that Roli will see the value in supporting the linux community as we are not only interested in purchasing and using your products in the linux ecosystem, but some of us are willing to help bring it to fruition - as evidenced by previous posts in this thread.

1 person likes this
Oh, isn’t that typical... The hardware company cries out they would be so happy to provide support for GNU/Linux if only they had time and resources, and when the community asks for documentation in order to do their job, they simply refuse. I was considering buying a RISE until I read this post, but now I’ll wait to hear the motivation from ROLI. Prove to us that you care about the community! Great job by the way, Thomas Ebeling! Reverse engineering is a tricky and time consuming thing.

1 person likes this

@Virgil Breeden

Thanks! :) I'm very glad that you're willing to work on this. I'm a complete ALSA and GLADE Noob, so please excuse any design flaws. ;)

@Johan Smolinski

I totally lack the understanding for that. I mean, other hardware companies have their CC- and sysex maps printed in their manual. Perhaps, someone from ROLI can tell us why exactly they can't share that information.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment