Instant Delay by Unfiltered Audio is a plugin which natively supports the Lightpad Block, making it possible to easily control multiple delay parameters with your the Lightpad Block's touch-sensitive surface!
Step 1: Download and register Instant Delay
Blocks registered before November 25, 2017 are bundled with Instant Delay. If you registered your Block before this date and haven't already downloaded Instant Delay, follow these instructions:
How to download Instant Delay
- Create a free Plugin Alliance account here.
- Once your Plugin Alliance account has been activated, go to the Plugin Alliance voucher activation page. (You can also follow the “Activate” navigation link in the footer menu of any Plugin Alliance web page.)
- Find your Instant Delay voucher code on your My ROLI page if you registered your Block before November 25, 2017.
- On the Plugin Alliance voucher activation page, enter your Instant Delay voucher code and click “Use Voucher.” Instant Delay will automatically appear in your cart. Proceed to the Checkout.
- If prompted log in again, and follow the instructions during checkout. Your order total will be $0.
- After completing the checkout, you will see download links for the Instant Delay installer. Download the installer.
- Once the installer has downloaded it, double-click the installer to install the Instant Delay plugin.
How to activate Instant Delay
- Once you've installed Instant Delay, activation is easy. Simply load the Instant Delay in your DAW of choice, and you will be prompted to click on a window to activate Instant Delay.
- Be sure to select from the dropdown menu which machine you would like to activate, and then click “I’m Online.”
- Enter your Plugin Alliance account credentials on the following page, and then click “Activate.”
For more information on the activation process, or for offline activation instructions, please check the Plugin Alliance Activation Manual.
Step 2: Ensure your Lightpad Block firmware is up-to-date
Step 3: Connect your Lightpad Block to your computer via USB or Bluetooth
Connect your Lightpad Block to your computer via USB or Bluetooth. Make sure BLOCKS Dashboard is closed, or Instant Delay might not recognize your Lightpad Block.
Step 4: Load Instant Delay as a plugin in your DAW
Load the Instant Delay plugin as an audio effect in your digital audio workstation (DAW) of choice. This example shows loading Instant Delay in Logic Pro X:
Step 5: Load the "ROLI Lightpad Example" Preset
Instant Delay will load its "Default" preset. Click on the preset name, and then select "Factory Presets" > "ROLI Lightpad Example." Once the "ROLI Lightpad Example" preset is loaded, look under "MODULATION" for the "Connect" button and click it.
Once connected in Instant Delay, your Lightpad will display the Unfiltered Audio "UA" logo. Your Lightpad can now be used as an XYZ pad to control Instant Delay's delay time, feedback, and filter cutoff frequency. Play some audio on the selected channel strip, and perform gestures on your Lightpad to hear how you're affecting the sound.
Step 6: Modify presets
You may easily create your own presets by modifying existing presets. Using the ROLI Lightpad Example, for instance, you can click and drag the ends of the red wires to assign them to other parameters. In this example, we're changing the Lightpad's Z ("Press") dimension to control Drive rather than Cutoff:
You may also add more modulation assignments by clicking on a modulation jack above X, Y, or Z and then drag the new wire to the destination of your choice. In this example we're adding a new wire so that Z will also control Jitter:
You might notice now that when Pressing your Lightpad the Jitter knob doesn't change. This is because the knob above Z is set to negatively modulate the selected parameters. To change this simply drag the Z knob upward so that it will positively modulate Jitter and Drive:
For more information
For more details on using Instant Delay, check out the manual – simply click the "?" in the lower right corner and click "Open Manual..."
If Instant Delay isn't recognizing your Lightpad Block, please make sure BLOCKS Dashboard is closed.
Also, check out this video for more tips on using Instant Delay with Lightpad Blocks: