Start a new topic
Answered

Please explain like I'm 5: Roli Blocks Studio Editions?

I've seen the video and read the blog post: https://roli.com/stories/blocks-studio-editions?autoplay

Yet.. I have no idea what `Blocks Studio Editions` is referring to.

Is it updated hardware? A new production run with better quality? More consistency in pressure sensitivity etc.?

Or is it "just a label" for the better software integration? Or is it another ROLI app? 

Dashboard, Equator, Roli studio Player (beta), now they talk about Roli Studio? What's the difference to the Studio PLAYER? Dashbaord apparently can only operate when all other Roli software is closed, .. okay?

Please shed some light into all of this, thanks!

Best Answer

Hey there,

The BLOCKS Studio Edition hardware models are the same as the current ones, but as a result of considerable firmware development since the original BLOCKS launch, they now offer more accurate finger tracking, and as a result better MPE, in addition to improved multi-block connectivity.

The ROLI Studio desktop software is more powerful, extensive, and deeply integrated than anything we've ever paired with BLOCKS. So we've reoriented BLOCKS around ROLI Studio. ROLI Studio is about to come out of a 6-month beta testing period, and we’re launching Studio Editions to coincide with the desktop software release. While you may have had access to RSP Beta for a little while, Studio Edition's will launch with ROLI Studio Drums, which offers MPE drums on desktop for the first time, and features a built-in groove generator. 

In addition to getting the latest Blocks and ROLI Studio software, buyers of the new editions get a full license to the Strobe2 synth. 

If you’re already a BLOCKS owner, you can access ROLI Studio for free. You can download the full software via ROLI Connect when it comes out of beta on October 31. 

Hope that clears things up,

Marcus

Thanks for the quick reply! Interesting practice that the responder tags the question answered, though ;)

Because in my head, the topic isn't fully answered–

So I understand it correctly, that the Seaboard BLOCK I'd buy in a few weeks is better than the one I bought 2 weeks ago? 

1a) When can I buy these? 

1b) How will I know I bought a "Seaboard BLOCK studio edition"? Will the name change in online shops / here? 

1c) These improvements can not be achieved via firmware updates to lets say 1-year-old seaboard blocks?

1d) Will the Seaboard Rise 49 get similar updates in the future? Be it hard- or software–

2a) the name `Roli Studio Player` (containing the word `Player`) was only the name for the beta version? and is now called Roli Studio without any mentionable additions the beta didn't have?

2b) Roli Studio Drums is a standalone App which doesn't come with Roli Studio (Player..?)

Thanks!

René

2 people like this
Answer

Hey there,

The BLOCKS Studio Edition hardware models are the same as the current ones, but as a result of considerable firmware development since the original BLOCKS launch, they now offer more accurate finger tracking, and as a result better MPE, in addition to improved multi-block connectivity.

The ROLI Studio desktop software is more powerful, extensive, and deeply integrated than anything we've ever paired with BLOCKS. So we've reoriented BLOCKS around ROLI Studio. ROLI Studio is about to come out of a 6-month beta testing period, and we’re launching Studio Editions to coincide with the desktop software release. While you may have had access to RSP Beta for a little while, Studio Edition's will launch with ROLI Studio Drums, which offers MPE drums on desktop for the first time, and features a built-in groove generator. 

In addition to getting the latest Blocks and ROLI Studio software, buyers of the new editions get a full license to the Strobe2 synth. 

If you’re already a BLOCKS owner, you can access ROLI Studio for free. You can download the full software via ROLI Connect when it comes out of beta on October 31. 

Hope that clears things up,

Marcus

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment