Start a new topic

Midi CC mapping for all! SEABOARD

It would be amazing to see an option in the future for individual cc mapping on all of the 5 dimensions of movement/expression. For non MPE gear. 

When using the Seaboard as a midi keyboard for external gear. 

Having the option in Dashboard - to midi map all the expressions to effect cc parameters of a synth for example. 

Think about the possibilities!

Would be one of a kind.. 

Thoughts?  

8 people like this idea

Actually you can map all 5  values to a HW synth's CC values.

Im using Bitwig, and I simply setup 3 tracks.

1 track for Seaboard midi with Midi CC device (more about that below)

1 track for HW instrument = my Korg Minilogue

1 track for audio in from Korg Minilogue

The HW instrument is just to have  a separate track I can send midi data to and it forwards it to the Korg Minilogue as a hardware instrument. It can all be done with 1 track, first Midi CC object, then HW instrument to send the mapped data to the HW synth and an input track for the analogue sound from the synth.

The trick is the Midi CC track.

I setup the slide midi cc 74 from dashboard to midi CC 43 on my HW instrument (according to manual its cutoff). The way I did that is I added a Midi CC oscilator and set that to 74 as input, and the first knob midi CC 43 (cutoff on my hw instrument) and mapped them with the oscilating range.

Then I choose another oscilator input called Expressions in bitwig, and theres the last 4 missing controls from the seaboard, VEL, TIMB, REL, PRESS.  I basically mapped PRESS to 3x CC's on my Korg minilogue, VCO1,2,Noise LEVEL CC 39,40,33. This controlls the presure.

So now I have pressure control, and slide control on my HW synth.

The bad thing is when playing chords on my Korg Minilogue as it has 4 voices, only the last touch on the seaboard controls the pressure or slide values. So playing in pure polyphonic mode with individual CC data for each voice is not possible simply because the HW synth doesnt support this ! As long as I am well aware of this its not a problem.

By adding more mono synths, one for each channel would solve the individual parameters to be modulated from the seaboard. A synth that can load patches from the DAW is necessary in that case as you would have to load the same sound between the synths to get true polyphonic voices. Then you could map each midi channel from Seaboard lets say 8 midi channels to 8x mono synths, same patch loaded on all of them and get true analogue expressions.

1 person likes this

CC74- Slide

Pitch Bend - Glide

Aftertouch - Press

Note sure but my note on and note off seem to be working Strike and Lift.

1 person likes this
Love to comment on Google it.

not sure what the above comments are getting at but maybe it was misunderstood.

the reason for my original post was pointing to - being able to assign different cc's other than slide.

all hardware have different midi cc values for different parameters.

hence - being able to assign 5 different parameters would be incredible.  

any hardware synth "I have used" with roli seaboard behaves oddly. (so far)

if Roli were to focus some time creating these options in the dashboard, it would be a great use of energy

I would think :) The Seaboard could become an incredible midi controller. 

yes it is indispensable to have midi mapping for using roli studio player with a breath controller like an ewi for instance

Login to post a comment