Start a new topic
Answered

Seaboard Block: 1-second sysex pulse

When my Seaboard Block is plugged in to my computer I get a pulse with some sysex coming through about once per second.

Here is the output from two consecutive pulses, as captured by MidiOx:

SYSX: F0 00 21 10 77 44 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 6D F7

0000914F 1 -- F0 Buffer: 15 Bytes System Exclusive

SYSX: F0 00 21 10 77 44 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 6D F7

00009537 1 -- F0 Buffer: 15 Bytes System Exclusive      

What is this?  The flashing on the incoming midi message is quite distracting in Studio One, especially when it's out of sync with the track's tempo.  Can we turn it off?

Best Answer

Hi Graham,

Does this occur when ROLI Dashboard is open? If you close ROLI Dashboard do these SysEx messages stop? BLOCKS and ROLI Dashboard use SysEx messages to communicate with one another, which may explain this behaviour. 

If this doesn't help, please submit a ticket so the support team can investigate further.

A ticket about this issue exists since early 2018, filed under #36246 with the title:

"FR: don't spam my DAW with SysEx messages as soon as Blocks Dashboard is running."

Basically what we see is half of a chat - the messages sent by Blocks to Dashboard. I don't think  users should be forced to deal with this.

It's not only visually distracting, but may for instance interfere with a DAW's MIDI parameter learn system, if it allows learning SysEx. And DAWs may dutifully record the SysEx noise. It's just annoying to have to go in and delete the unwanted messages.

The only solutions as of now are either close down Dashboard after each time you needed to tweak a setting, or find a way in your DAW to filter the spam.

My proposal to solve the issue is to use a dedicated MIDI port for this kind of communication. That seems to be the proper way to handle it. We could just keep that MIDI port disabled within our DAW and would no longer be bothered with MIDI messages which are not part of our music and may even get in our way.

1 person likes this
Answer

Hi Graham,

Does this occur when ROLI Dashboard is open? If you close ROLI Dashboard do these SysEx messages stop? BLOCKS and ROLI Dashboard use SysEx messages to communicate with one another, which may explain this behaviour. 

If this doesn't help, please submit a ticket so the support team can investigate further.

1 person likes this

Same issue here with Rise. DAW keeps receiving Sysex when Dashboard is open. Every midi recording in the DAW is polluted with these Roli Sysex. 

If as ROLI say, this Sysex is how Dashboard communicates with their hardware, why does Dashboard have to pass it on in its Midi out?

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment