Start a new topic
Answered

SeaBoard Rise issue with Reaper DAW and Native Instruments.

I use Win7 Ultimate 32 bit, with Reaper as my Digital Audio Workstation.  When using Native Instruments, I'm having an issue between the B & C notes of any octave on the 49 keys of the SeaBoard.  If I press B then D, the notes sound properly when cycled quickly.  If I try to do the same thing between B then C, the C does not sound when cycled quickly.  If I wait for the B to finish sounding, the C works fine.  

I watched the video for setting up the SeaBoard to work with Native Instruments and the 5D effects are great.  The B to C transition really messes me up when I try to play something.  I monitor the notes with the Dashboard and everything seems proper on the Dashboard.  However, there's always that missed note C when listening to what I'm trying to play.  Like I said before, B to any other note seems to work fine.  

If I plug in my Roland A49 keyboard, I don't have these issues.  The SeaBoard is seeing the notes as indicated on the DashBoard, but somehow Native Instruments doesn't sound the C right away.  I'm using Single Channel mode.  BTW - when I select Piano mode on the Dashboard, I don't have an issue either.  I haven't figured out how to use the Multi Mode yet.  I've only owned the SeaBoard for a few weeks, so this is very new to me.

I don't have internet at home, so I was unable to register online any software that came with the SeaBoard.  This is a real problem for guys like me, who work offline.

Best Answer

Does it work when you lower the Glide sensitivity a tad? With Glide sensitivity to max on the Rise, adjacent semitones will be played as a pitch bend to the later note if played legato, rather than a new note. My thinking is, maybe the pitch bend it generates is too slow and thus you hear only the original note?

There is a bunch of issues in single channel mode with Seaboard Blocks. ROLI promised to solve them as soon as possible. They mostly concern tracking modes and I don't know whether they happen with a Rise. If lowering Glide Sensitivity doesn't fix, it could be that this is a manifestation of a Glide tracking mode problem in single channel mode. Hope that is not what you are experiencing, because "as soon as possible" can mean anything. On the other hand, if it happens on Rise too, maybe they'll try harder :)

Absolutely do register and download the additional software, especially Equator! Using Equator will get you to use and enjoy the mpe mode in no time without even thinking about it. In Reaper it's basically put an instance of Equator on a track which is enabled to listen to all MIDI channels of the Rise's MIDI port and start playing.

Answer

Does it work when you lower the Glide sensitivity a tad? With Glide sensitivity to max on the Rise, adjacent semitones will be played as a pitch bend to the later note if played legato, rather than a new note. My thinking is, maybe the pitch bend it generates is too slow and thus you hear only the original note?

There is a bunch of issues in single channel mode with Seaboard Blocks. ROLI promised to solve them as soon as possible. They mostly concern tracking modes and I don't know whether they happen with a Rise. If lowering Glide Sensitivity doesn't fix, it could be that this is a manifestation of a Glide tracking mode problem in single channel mode. Hope that is not what you are experiencing, because "as soon as possible" can mean anything. On the other hand, if it happens on Rise too, maybe they'll try harder :)

Absolutely do register and download the additional software, especially Equator! Using Equator will get you to use and enjoy the mpe mode in no time without even thinking about it. In Reaper it's basically put an instance of Equator on a track which is enabled to listen to all MIDI channels of the Rise's MIDI port and start playing.

You are right about lowering the glide sensitivity.  The biggest change was when I installed the latest firmware which solved most of the adjacent key issue.  It depends on which patch that I use for the glide sensitivity, some instruments don't need it and some do.  Overall, I'm able to play properly and I'm starting to really enjoy the Seaboard.  

As for equator, it might be a while before I can download the software for this system.  I don't have internet at home and I work in the airline industry, so security is pretty tight.  Bringing a computer to work can be a bit of a challenge.  

Login to post a comment