Start a new topic
Answered

Getting a crackling noise with Cypher 2 MPE presets

I’ve been using Cypher with Logic Pro X 10.4.3 and really haven’t had any issues up until I bought an iOS app called GeoShred (also MPE). I’ve connected it 2 different ways (Bluetooth, and MidiMux/USB). The normal presets are fine. The 5D presets start crackling. I’ve played around with buffer settings but, that didn’t help. What DID help was turning the voice count down to 4: any higher, and it would start crackling. This is surprising because I have a pretty fast laptop (MacBook Pro 15”, OS Mojave 10.14.2, i7 2.2ghz 6 core CPU). I’m hoping there might be some magic tweak, I can perform instead the voice count reduction

Best Answer

Hi Donald, 

It may be worth experimenting with changing the buffer size in Audio & MIDI Settings to see if that helps.

If it doesn't, the Cypher2 development team have made some great progress in reducing CPU levels, and we're aiming to complete some updates to Cypher2 soon. We'll announce when a new update is available to try. 

Many thanks,

Jay

Answer

Hi Donald, 

It may be worth experimenting with changing the buffer size in Audio & MIDI Settings to see if that helps.

If it doesn't, the Cypher2 development team have made some great progress in reducing CPU levels, and we're aiming to complete some updates to Cypher2 soon. We'll announce when a new update is available to try. 

Many thanks,

Jay

I’ve played around with the buffer settings, and that didn’t really help. What DID help was reducing the voice count. Some of the more complex patches use 30 voices. Reducing them down to 4 (NOT 5 or 6...even that will start audio breakup). I look forward to an update. Again, I’m kind of surprised because I have a pretty fast laptop. I thought it might be an OS issue (Mojave), or something unique to me because I really don’t see any other posts describing it. Also, it only happens with the MPE 5D presets. The regular presets work just fine, with a very reasonable hit to CPU. The Madrona Labs synths don’t exhibit the same behavior because they are simply less complex (lower voice counts, fewer modulations, etc). Thanks for the input!

Hi,

I'm having a problematic issue with Cypher2 and Logic Pro X recently when running some presets in MPE 5D mode in the DAW. The sound starts crackling, it didn't happen before since the last update of the Roli Seaboard.

I re-installed Cypher2 again and still this issue happening. Does anyone has this problem too?

Thanks.

Using: 

MacOS version 10.13.6

Logic Pro X 10.3.2 

Cypher2 2.4.10.3

Login to post a comment