Start a new topic
Answered

New Garageband SongMaker Kit

Does anyone know if there is additional software that is bundled with the newly released Garageband version of the songmaker kit?  I bought the songmaker kit a few years ago and am interested to know if there is anything different with the new version?  And if so, how do I get my hands on it :)

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for asking about this – I'll be happy to clarify.

All versions of the Songmaker Kit include the same hardware controllers, the same price, and most of the same software. You can take your track in any direction by connecting the Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block, and Loop Block with a vast range of sounds and software programs.

The Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition is special because it’s focused. It goes deep with one digital audio workstation — GarageBand for macOS — that’s also the world’s most popular. And it offers step-by-step onboarding to help you get started and make a first track. 

The benefit for many people, especially if you’re more of a hobbyist than a pro, is the ease of working in a totally integrated environment. Pretty much everything you need to make a track is right there: a keyboard, a drum pad, mixing and production controls, hundreds of sounds and effects, recording and editing capabilities. It’s a focused, plug-and-play studio. It’s much easier than jumping between multiple software programs connected to an array of controllers. 

Benefits of the Songmaker GarageBand Edition include: 

• Quick and easy onboarding: Onboarding films and project templates guide you from the unboxing and setup stages to making a track

• Convenient access to a huge sound library: Not only do you get all of the GarageBand sounds; you also get a specially selected group of Equator sounds that you can browse directly in GarageBand 

• A deep integration with Logic: For anyone looking to move to the next level, the integration is also deep and seamless with Logic Pro X, the professional DAW for macOS. 

• Work with any model of MacBook: The kit includes a USB-C to USB-A adaptor, so you can connect the Songmaker Kit to any model of MacBook  

If you’re choosing between the two versions of the Songmaker Kit, the main things to think about are: 

• Do you want to center your Songmaker Kit experience around GarageBand and Logic? It’s a deep integration that gives you everything you need to play, edit, and produce. 

• Are you a Mac user? Garageband is only available on Mac, and the integration is customized for the desktop version. 

Regardless of which one you choose, you have access to almost all the features of the other version. If you opt for the regular Songmaker Kit, you can still work in GarageBand. If you choose the Songmaker GarageBand Edition, you receive almost all of the same software tools (see table below). In some senses, you can’t go wrong!

SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH SONGMAKER KIT MODELS: 

Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition 

Songmaker Kit 

Equator 

Equator 

Cypher2 Player 

Cypher 2 Player 

Strobe2 Player 

Strobe2 Player 

Ableton Live Lite 

Ableton Live Lite 

NOISE for iOS (free app) 

NOISE for iOS (free app) 

ROLI PLAY (free app) 

ROLI PLAY (free app) 

Tracktion Waveform 8 

If you already have a Songmaker Kit, you may access the new integrations with GarageBand and Logic Pro by following these instructions

Thanks,

Red

I have the same question, I purchased the ROLI SongMaker kit earlier this year to use exclusively with my new iPad Pro and GarageBand. So what am I missing with this new version? What is different and if anything, how can I upgrade??
Haven’t been able to find anything yet. Also, I meant a few months ago. Not years. Regardless, my question stands. :s

Looks like the only difference is the addition of a USB-C to USB-A adapter so you can easily connect to newer macs without needing to buy a separate cable.

Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for asking about this – I'll be happy to clarify.

All versions of the Songmaker Kit include the same hardware controllers, the same price, and most of the same software. You can take your track in any direction by connecting the Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block, and Loop Block with a vast range of sounds and software programs.

The Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition is special because it’s focused. It goes deep with one digital audio workstation — GarageBand for macOS — that’s also the world’s most popular. And it offers step-by-step onboarding to help you get started and make a first track. 

The benefit for many people, especially if you’re more of a hobbyist than a pro, is the ease of working in a totally integrated environment. Pretty much everything you need to make a track is right there: a keyboard, a drum pad, mixing and production controls, hundreds of sounds and effects, recording and editing capabilities. It’s a focused, plug-and-play studio. It’s much easier than jumping between multiple software programs connected to an array of controllers. 

Benefits of the Songmaker GarageBand Edition include: 

• Quick and easy onboarding: Onboarding films and project templates guide you from the unboxing and setup stages to making a track

• Convenient access to a huge sound library: Not only do you get all of the GarageBand sounds; you also get a specially selected group of Equator sounds that you can browse directly in GarageBand 

• A deep integration with Logic: For anyone looking to move to the next level, the integration is also deep and seamless with Logic Pro X, the professional DAW for macOS. 

• Work with any model of MacBook: The kit includes a USB-C to USB-A adaptor, so you can connect the Songmaker Kit to any model of MacBook  

If you’re choosing between the two versions of the Songmaker Kit, the main things to think about are: 

• Do you want to center your Songmaker Kit experience around GarageBand and Logic? It’s a deep integration that gives you everything you need to play, edit, and produce. 

• Are you a Mac user? Garageband is only available on Mac, and the integration is customized for the desktop version. 

Regardless of which one you choose, you have access to almost all the features of the other version. If you opt for the regular Songmaker Kit, you can still work in GarageBand. If you choose the Songmaker GarageBand Edition, you receive almost all of the same software tools (see table below). In some senses, you can’t go wrong!

SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH SONGMAKER KIT MODELS: 

Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition 

Songmaker Kit 

Equator 

Equator 

Cypher2 Player 

Cypher 2 Player 

Strobe2 Player 

Strobe2 Player 

Ableton Live Lite 

Ableton Live Lite 

NOISE for iOS (free app) 

NOISE for iOS (free app) 

ROLI PLAY (free app) 

ROLI PLAY (free app) 

Tracktion Waveform 8 

If you already have a Songmaker Kit, you may access the new integrations with GarageBand and Logic Pro by following these instructions

Thanks,

Red

1 person likes this

Hi, I don't have the songmaker kit (I miss the loop block). Can I still use Garage Band with ROLI Connect ?
Thanks  

Hi Paul,

Currently ROLI Connect is only available for Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition creators, although we're planning on rolling it out for more creators as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience in the meantime, and I hope the wait will be worth it.

Red

I see. Thank you for the answer !

No offense Red, but that's a long and detailed response that doesn't really answer the original question.

It looks like the software package is different in that the Garageband Edition doesn't include Tracktion Waveform 8. Is that it?

As for other differences, am I understanding it correctly that the Garageband Edition includes a USB-C to USB-A adapter? Are there any other hardware differences or any other differences?

If those are the only differences, please just say that as a Mac-based product, the Garageband Edition removes the Tracktion license and includes the USB-C adapter. Your marketing department needs to realize that most of the time simple and direct is better than long-winded and vague.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for chiming in. While the GarageBand Edition includes onboarding specifically tailored for GarageBand, the differences you mention – Tracktion Waveform 8 included with the standard Songmaker Kit, USB-A to USB-C adapter included with the GarageBand Edition – are the indeed the primary software and hardware differences between the two.

Red

Red- Can you describe exactly what you mean by onboarding? I assume it’s some kind of software preconfiguration, but if you could spell it out for me I’d appreciate it.

Hi Tom,

Sure! The Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition includes a new app, ROLI Connect, which provides a one-stop hub for accessing bundled software and integrations with GarageBand and Logic. While we plan on unrolling this for more creators in the future, currently this is available for GarageBand Edition creators.

Of course, in the meantime all Songmaker Kit creators may access the GarageBand and Logic integrations by following these instructions:

https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000100806-logic-pro-and-garageband-accessing-the-integration-features-of-the-songmaker-kit-garageband-edition-

Red

Does following the steps to integrate GarageBand edition into the standard edition provide the new app ROLI Connect? Or is ROLI Connect only available when you purchase the GarageBand Edition?

Hi Keith, 

ROLI Connect is only currently available to Songmaker Kit GarageBand Edition creators. We can confirm that it will be released for all ROLI creators soon.

Soon means? 1-2 Weeks? 1-2 Month? Summer?

Login to post a comment