Start a new topic
Answered

lightpad block glide

Hello, I have been wondering if i am using a lightpad block if i can glide to a specific note. For example if i am on the first note of the octave and want to slide to the highest note in the octave (bottom left corner to top right corner) will that work

Best Answer

Hi Sanjay,

You can adjust the 'Pitch Bend Range' in ROLI Dashboard to do this. If this is setting you're likely to return to, save it as a Mode via the File > Save As menu. 

Hope this helps! 

Answer

Hi Sanjay,

You can adjust the 'Pitch Bend Range' in ROLI Dashboard to do this. If this is setting you're likely to return to, save it as a Mode via the File > Save As menu. 

Hope this helps! 

If a sound source which interprets full bend as 48 semitones is used, like eg Equator and a grid of 5 semitones (the default note grid with Hide Mode off) is used, then a setting of 8 semitones as pitch bend range for Lightpad will bend 2 octaves with a glide from a note on one side to a note on the other side, indeed. You lose a lot of precision doing this (unplayable with maximum Glide sensitiviy) and a vibrato gesture will cause the note to bend up/down wildly.

But actually, I don't think that's what Sanjay was asking. It's not clear in the question, but I think he wanted to know whether you can glide from a "pad" to any other "pad", even if it is in another row of the grid.
This is not possible with Lightpad out of the box. Using the available Lightpad programs, pitch bend is per note row, only sideways (think about it like sliding up/down the frets on guitar strings). In other words, any note can only bend to the leftmost or rightmost note in the same row.  Any note on a side edge column can only bend in one direction (towards the other side edge).
Mismatching bend ranges, as proposed by Jay, can widen the bend range, but will still not make it possible to bend an edge note in both directions.

It's a cool project idea to write a Lightpad script that sacrifices the Slide dimension for direct pitchbend towards any note on the grid. It likely is possible for someone in the know (which wouldn't be me) to write it. Although - it may turn out to be awkward to cross rows in practice... food for thought.

It would be good if Sanjay comes back to make his question a bit clearer. At this point we don't even know if he can use Dashboard in the first place (Dashboard isn't available on IOS, as far as I know).

1 person likes this

Frank Gerlach no i was asking if i can glide from the top note to the bottom note on 1 lightpad block witout the use of any programs

Ah yeah, thanks for clearing that, Sanjay.  Then I guess Jay's answer applies, if you can use Dashboard or if noise can pull off the mismatching. Just be aware that the glide works only sideways, so there's not much room to handle the two octaves. Up/downward movement will do the Slide dimension (CC74) only.

Essentially can I glide from the top note of of an octave to the bottom note on that same octave using the lightpad block. I know the seaboard block can do it I was just wondering if the lightpad block also can

Hi Sanjay, 

Jay's answer is correct, and Frank makes a good point. Glide gestures are always left/right gestures, so if you'd like to go from the lower left corner to the upper right corner of a Lightpad, this will apply Glide to the right (in the range of pitch bend that you've selected in ROLI Dashboard) and Slide up. This won't go from the lower left corner's pitch to the upper right corner's pitch.

Red

i dont know if i had this in my question but i aksed if i can glide from a note to another note on a different row instead of just gliding on the same row

Hi Sanjay,

Please see my answer above – this isn't possible, as it will result in a Glide on the same row and a Slide up.

Red

Login to post a comment