Start a new topic
Answered

Old skool glissando / glide?

I've tried googling but, frankly, I don't know what words to use. 

How do I get glide ( you guys are crap at words too ;) ) to act like an old skool piano glissando? Triggering  note-ons rather than pitch-bend? Jerry Lee Lewis stylee?

I'm mainly using Cypher2 but an Equator answer would get me started. 

I'm probably missing something simple. As usual. 

And where's the best place for user chit-chat and idea sharing for seaboard/cypher/equator? It's a bit stuffy and supporty in here. (Which is fine)

Cheers. 

Best Answer

ROLI Dashboard should be recognizing your Seaboard Block and it shouldn't be interfering with Tracktion Waveform's performance. First, is ROLI Dashboard updated to the latest version? Also, I'd like to make sure that in Tracktion Waveform the setting "Take control of BLOCKS" is off. In this screenshot, it's turned on:

If "Take control of BLOCKS" is turned off, does this allow ROLI Dashboard to run normally?

Next, Piano Mode will turn Glide off and additionally turn Slide and Press off so that the Seaboard operates much like a conventional MIDI keyboard. 

Finally, if you are interested in diving under the hood, the BLOCKS development forum on the JUCE forums might be helpful: https://forum.juce.com/c/blocks-development

Red

OK, seems I can now leave RD open and change stuff and SB keeps playing thru TW. All with that Take Control OFF. Result!

That last loss of MIDI and TW restart I was moaning about may have been due to me toggling TCOB to see what happens. Stuff works if I just leave it off. 

OK, turning Take Control of BLOCKS off, does indeed allow RD to connect instantly without any replugging. Did I miss something in my initial reading of the docs? 

What does that option even do?! What's it for? Turns out the SB works without it. Would I need this enabled if I were to write a custom VST that communicated with the SB? That would make sense. But why is it there if I need to use RD? Is it there for future features and custom VSTs? Does Equators close integration use this?

So that has sped the process up a wee bit. But TW still loses thru-put from the board. It's still there as a MIDI Device but no MIDI is forthcoming until I restart TW... Which is another pain, as it does not shutdown properly and I have to fire up a Task Manager to kill it! So it remains awkward. 

Thanks for clarifying on Piano Mode. So it's overkill if I just want glissando. 

Cheers for link. I found the stuff myself after posting. I have no use for hoods. lol. My JUCE Forum account is nearly as old as Jule's one. And I'd have a source code license for Waveform if I had enough cash to wave at them. lol 

Answer

ROLI Dashboard should be recognizing your Seaboard Block and it shouldn't be interfering with Tracktion Waveform's performance. First, is ROLI Dashboard updated to the latest version? Also, I'd like to make sure that in Tracktion Waveform the setting "Take control of BLOCKS" is off. In this screenshot, it's turned on:

If "Take control of BLOCKS" is turned off, does this allow ROLI Dashboard to run normally?

Next, Piano Mode will turn Glide off and additionally turn Slide and Press off so that the Seaboard operates much like a conventional MIDI keyboard. 

Finally, if you are interested in diving under the hood, the BLOCKS development forum on the JUCE forums might be helpful: https://forum.juce.com/c/blocks-development

Red

I'm seeing  a BlocksProtocol::pianoMode buried in JUCE, would that be the right tree to be barking around for quickchanging from a wee custom tool or vst? 

And the 2 different glissandi for the ribbons, I wasn't aware of that feature. And you're saying turn off glide? Is that the same as Piano Mode? 

Only got a Seaboard Block and I avoid ROLI Dashboard as it takes 5 minutes of USB port swapping to get the Seaboard recognised despite it working fine in Waveform. Then it'll stop working in Waveform until I restart Waveform. And I can't leave it (Dashboard) running as it slows Waveform (animation stalls and spinny cursor) every 3-4 seconds. So, yeah, I avoid it. 

I wasn't thinking it through and was looking for something at the synth level. But yeah, makes sense I'd have to tell the board itself to spit out different stuff for glide. Doh.

Is there any was of controlling the board from inside Waveform? Some sort of sysex messages?  

Hi there, 

Good question! To perform traditional piano-style glissandi rather than "Glide" gesture portamenti, you can turn off the Glide dimension of touch. You can do this using ROLI Dashboard, with the Seaboard RISE's Expression Touch Faders, or using a Touch Block connected to a Seaboard Block. Once you've done this, Glide gestures performed on the upper ribbon will create chromatic glissandi, and Glide gestures performed on the lower ribbon will create "white-key" diatonic glissandi.

For user chit-chat you're more than welcome to use this forum, although I'll defer to other creators for more suggestions! 

Red

Login to post a comment