Start a new topic
Answered

Mapping and Layering Equator instrument presets in Ableton Live

Greetings all, I figured out how quickly select Equator presets in Ableton Live AND layer multiple Equator preset instances that create the most amazing dynamic combinations!. I made an Instrument Rack in Ableton Live, and duplicated the Equator VST in the Rack. For each preset instance of Equator in the Instrument Rack, I made a Host and 2-16 midi Voice tracks as described in Rolis article (link below )(these can be put in groups to keep tidy). I made 8 of these Host/15 Voice groups, each one set for midi coming from Block, and going to each specific Equator instance in the Instrument Rack. Then each instance of Equator can be opened and a particular instrument selected. A macro knob on the Instrument Rack can be mapped to the on/off button of each Equator instance, and the ranges set to have each Equator instance to have its unique area of turning it on in the macro knob range! NOT ONLY THAT... by overlapping ranges (or just manually turning on multiple instances) multiple Equator instruments can be playex AT THE SAME TIME, producing an incredible range and combinations of sounds effects with 5d variations. My head is spinning from how amazing the variations of sound and sensitivity produced using this method. I think this could be revolutionary for Roli and Live use. If so and Roli would like to do me a favor, i would LOVE to see a double length Lightblock , so that us guitar fretboard oriented folks slide chords and notes over longer distances like the Seabord Block . Im a new BIG fan of Roli! Thanks guys! https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000019078-ableton-using-blocks-as-melodic-instruments-in-ableton-live ...

Best Answer

Hi Daniel, I've been trying to do what you suggest with instrument racks in Ableton, but not having luck. Any possibility of you sharing a template, so I can see where I'm going wrong? Thanks so much! - Jay

2 people have this question

Thank you

2 people like this
Answer

Hi Daniel, I've been trying to do what you suggest with instrument racks in Ableton, but not having luck. Any possibility of you sharing a template, so I can see where I'm going wrong? Thanks so much! - Jay

2 people like this

hey Daniel. I'm having some difficulties with this as well. Id be SO GRATEFUL for that template! i can't even find another post about this anywhere online. i can't believe this. 

1 person likes this

OK good peoples -

I finally had the time time to remove all my other Live Set personal setup and am providing a TEMPLATE for Multiple instances of Equator Instruments on a selectable instrument rack in Ableton Live (im using Live 9, not sure if compatible with other versions).   Hope this helps out.

als

2 people like this

Thank you, Daniel! Will check it out later this week!

B.R.O

Thank you SO much !! 

Anyone trying this with Live 10? It doesn't work for my.

I tried also the MPE_Util ( https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util ) It works fine for one instance, but no luck figuring out how to load more instances of Equator and changing between them using the chain selector of the instrument rack. 

Hi again! Finally I was able to do it in Ableton Live 10.1. I just made a step-by-step guide on how to configure everything properly for loading multiple instances of Equator and controling presets via instrument rack: https://beyondthepiano.jlmirall.es/2019/07/30/multiple-mpe-instances-with-roli-and-ableton/

Thank you, José!!  Just got back from a work-week away; I'm so excited to try this out! Will let you know how it goes - Yay!

Login to post a comment