Start a new topic

Remote control of Dashboard parameters

I am using the seaboard 49 with Mainstage 3. I have a variety of patches and channel strips, within Mainstage, some of which use the Equator Synth engine as an input source, and others which use the Logic/Mainstage ESX24 sampler or one of the many other instruments available in Mainstage as an input source.

To make the Seaboard correctly control the Equator synth, I have to set the dashboard pitch bend range to 48. But, to correctly control most of the Logic/Mainstage instruments, I have to set the dashboard pitch bend range to 2.

I need some way to automatically change the dashboard pitch bend range when I call up the different patches in mainstage. Right now I have to have dashboard open as well as Mainstage and then jump between programs to make the dashboard pitch bend changes as the different channel strips require. This takes time between songs and opens up the door to user error with disastrous sonic consequences! I suppose with time I could re-create all of my channel strips to use the equator synth as an input (it is quite a powerful synth!), but that is not practical in the near future. So, what options do I have to be able to change the dashboard pitch bend range from within Mainstage? 

For that matter, it would be useful to be able to change the Dashboard  Mode settings and the Midi Settings remotely, via a sys exclusive command or CC message or Program change message, etc.

10 people like this idea

As with Peter, my use case is just switching profiles by name while using Blocks, and I'm guessing that would solve 90+% of the use cases for this. 

I'm using my Seaboard block directly with an microcontroller (Teensy 3.6, which can act as an USB host) without any computer. I would love to attach some buttons to the microcontroller to control the pressure sensitivity, pitch bend range, ...
Unfortunately I can't use JUCE on the 
microcontroller, is there any other way to control the seaboard?

Thanks, Arno

Hi Arno,

Good question. Currently it's not possible to control the Seaboard Block's behavior using SysEx messages, although I definitely see the use case for this functionality, and we hope to look into this in the future.

Red

Bumping this topic. Using the Seaboard block here, it would definitely be a game changer to be able to use sysex to control its settings from the DAW.

Another angle:

Lightpads deserve some love, too, and they need a bit more diversity of control than Seaboard, because they sport all those "programs" you can load into them. And each program can have multiple "modes" (presets, if you will), where a user can save different setups of the parameters a program supplies on its EDIT tab.

Because each Lightpad program can have a completely different set of parameters it will be difficult to come up with a way to access the parameters directly. So my guess is that switching programs/modes might be more feasible here.

I'd like to switch between those programs. For example from Note Pad to Rise Controller or Control Grid (to name the 3 programs I routinely load) and set a mode - without having to visit Dashboard and click myself to the desired program and the mode I want. I wouldn't mind if Dashboard has to run in the background as middle man, but would rather keep focus on my DAW and access from there.

I have no insight, but I assume that Dashboard is needed as a middle man for this to work, because it has all the infrastructure to handle Blocks topology and load stuff into a specific Block. It would be necessary to have some way to transmit messages from the DAW to Dashboard. First thought would be a MIDI port in the Dashboard app which would come up in a DAW as MIDI output to Dashboard. Or maybe it's possible to send the messages on the existing MIDI out(s) that come up when a Block is connected. The Block could hand them over to Dashboard which then does its magic in return.

However it's done, some progress on this topic would be highly appreciated.

(Even if there was just a command to transpose the note grid, that would be a start ;) )

It would be really helpful if someone could post the exact format of each of the MIDI messages that can be used to control the RISE. Like, for instance, a Glide SysEx message is F0 00 21 10 78 3D 17 nn F7. I tried using MIDIOX to “spy“ on what the Dashboard sends to the RISE, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to set that up. Is there? Thanks...

I have an even more complex set of patches in Dashboard that I use with various instruments in MainStage. If I was able to send good old fashioned patch changes to Dashboard that would solve everything. Seem like a much more elegant and simple solution. I have a gig tonight that I was hoping to use my Rise 49 at but always think twice because of the need to flip between Dashboard and MainStage to have the correct set of parameter activated every time I use a different instrument. I am using Equator, Cypher 2, Kontakt and Omnisphere.

I have a very low-tech solution to this -- I gave up on having a Roli-centric home studio/performance setup, and now use the Roli for MPE synths (about half my kit) and a  "standard" controller for the rest. Not my original plan, but it is a pretty obvious way to "switch modes" very easily. 

Login to post a comment