Start a new topic
Answered

Tips for best getting the best playing surface

I got the Songmaker Kit about a month ago and really like it a lot.  But the two octaves were just not enough so I bought another Seaboard Block.

The new Seaboard is so silky smooth compared to the old one.  I was wondering if anyone had a good way to keep the playing surface more silky smooth without causing any damage.

Best Answer

Here at ROLI we use Dettol surface wipes! It's important that you use wipes that don't contain alcohol or harmful chemicals. You can see a guide specially on caring for your Seaboard here.

2 people have this question

the seaboard sure does attract dust!  I wish there was a way to make the surface less 'sticky'.  I feel like it could help slides while playing as well....

the seaboard sure does attract dust!  I wish there was a way to make the surface less 'sticky'.  I feel like it could help slides while playing as well....

Answer

Here at ROLI we use Dettol surface wipes! It's important that you use wipes that don't contain alcohol or harmful chemicals. You can see a guide specially on caring for your Seaboard here.

1 person likes this

I wish I could make the surface more SLIPPERY.  My fingers keep getting hung up in the rubber doing long slides, if I'm trying to maintain some pressure.

A trick we've seen a few times is using a sprinkling of talcum powder on the surface to make it more slippery! It doesn't damage the surface and can be easily wiped off with a wet wipe.

1 person likes this

Can you please confirm the Aloe Vera and Vitamin E in the Seventh Generation fragrance free wipes won't negatively affect the surface of the Seaboard? The Dettol wipes which don't have these ingredients are not readily available at a reasonable cost in the US. (It would be helpful to also add your response to the care and cleaning support page.)

Our materials engineers have confirmed that the Seventh Generation fragrance free wipes are absolutely fine for cleaning the Seaboard and Lightpad.

I just brought a Seaboard Rise and I dont want to risk using the wrong type of cleaning wipes on it.

I cant find those brands you mentioned here in my country, but I did find an unperfumed mild cleaning wipe for babys. Its ingredients are: 

Aqua, Glycerin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Allatonin, Sodium Bensoate, Potasium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Trisodium Citrate

Is that OK to use?

Hi Peter,

Those ingredients are fine as long as they're not highly concentrated – which is very unlikely given they're for babies!

2 people like this

I am wondering: Has anybody tried silicone based lube, the type that you use for toys of a much different *uhm* recreational purpose? 

I can answer my own question now: I have tried silicone based lube for getting an extra easy glide, and it is quite useless. BUT: Water based lube on the other hand is friggin awesome if you just want to skate all over the seaboard. It gets so slippery, that you will slide right off the bumps and into the valleys. But for e.g. playing indian type of melodic phrasing on the flat parts, it totally rocks. And when it dries up a bit you just add a drop of water and you will slide on for a while.

Only, one might have a problem explaining why there is a bottle of lube ond a pack of wet-wipes next to the Seaboard.

2 people like this

I just want to be sure... If I use Dettol or Seventh Heaven wipes on the Seaboard keyboard it will maintain the slipperiness? I know that the wipes will keep the surface clean and help prevent skin oils from getting into the surface, but I want to know for sure that the slipperiness will be maintained.

Please tell me if there is another or  better product to make the surface slippery. I just want to be able to slide around with as little surface resistance as possible.

Thank you

"slide around with as little surface resistance as possible."

Water based lubricant will make your day then. 

I am actually serious. You will glide so much, that  will will not be able to wipe the grin off your face.

1 person likes this

I will certainly try it. Is there a brand/name of wipe  that you can recommend? Thanks!

Login to post a comment