Start a new topic
Answered

Recording SWAM in iOS

Using Roli Seaboard Block and iOS, can sound files be recorded and saved with NOISE and the added SWAM sounds?

Playing a solo with the SWAM string or woodwind pack on Seaboard Block linked to an iPad or iPhone (running Equator, right?), can a file be capture/rendered/recorded and saved to the iOS device and thus off-loaded or emailed out as an AIFF or other audio file?

I'd want to import the sound file into a desktop PC DAW. It's not midi there, but the full impact of expression would be heard in hi-res.

Is this accurate? 

Best Answer

Hi John,

Good question. First, you may record a SWAM instrument within NOISE on an iOS device controlled with your Seaboard Block. Once you've recorded your project, you may export it from NOISE's "My Projects" page by tapping "..." next to the project name, tapping "Export," selecting "Loops," and then tapping "Export." This will export the project as WAV files. The maximum record length is 8 bars and is adjustable from the settings cog within the project. (If you're only interested in recording the audio of a single instrument and want the longest audio recording time possible you might set the "Click" BPM to 60 and turn "Snap" off.

Another method is to connect the headphone output of your iOS device to a microphone input on your PC (if present), and then use a DAW to record this audio.

While you mention having a PC, in case others with Macs are reading this and interested in other methods, one way connect an iOS device to a Mac using a Lightning-to-USB cable and follow the steps mentioned in this forum post. (You can also use a different DAW than Logic in this case.)

You may also record from an iOS device to a Mac as an M4A file by following these steps: 

• Connect your iOS device to your computer using a Lightning-to-USB cable 
  • Launch QuickTime Player
  • Select File > New Audio Recording
  • From the drop-down menu to the right of the red record button select your iOS device
  • Click the red record button to record

Thanks,

Red

Answer

Hi John,

Good question. First, you may record a SWAM instrument within NOISE on an iOS device controlled with your Seaboard Block. Once you've recorded your project, you may export it from NOISE's "My Projects" page by tapping "..." next to the project name, tapping "Export," selecting "Loops," and then tapping "Export." This will export the project as WAV files. The maximum record length is 8 bars and is adjustable from the settings cog within the project. (If you're only interested in recording the audio of a single instrument and want the longest audio recording time possible you might set the "Click" BPM to 60 and turn "Snap" off.

Another method is to connect the headphone output of your iOS device to a microphone input on your PC (if present), and then use a DAW to record this audio.

While you mention having a PC, in case others with Macs are reading this and interested in other methods, one way connect an iOS device to a Mac using a Lightning-to-USB cable and follow the steps mentioned in this forum post. (You can also use a different DAW than Logic in this case.)

You may also record from an iOS device to a Mac as an M4A file by following these steps: 

• Connect your iOS device to your computer using a Lightning-to-USB cable 
  • Launch QuickTime Player
  • Select File > New Audio Recording
  • From the drop-down menu to the right of the red record button select your iOS device
  • Click the red record button to record

Thanks,

Red

Thanks Red. I'll figure out my flow from these suggestions.

Thanks for those explanations, Red. As they make very obvious, integrating the Noise AUv3 into a broader workflow is a lot easier than using the Noise app itself. The feature request for AUv3 support of SWAM Engine sounds has been made. It’s one of those cases where having a modular design is a great help.

(And for macOS users who don’t know about IDAM, it’s important to point out that the performance of audio through USB-Lightning is really very good.)

1 person likes this

In extension to Red's helpful tips, John, you may want to look into an audio interface like the iConnectAUDIO4+. I've had some setup issues with it on a particular computer, but when it works, it provides the most streamlined integration of piping in audio AND MIDI from iOS apps to a desktop computer that I've found. Essentially, it lets you use your iOS device like an external module. (I know there are other "solutions" out there that purport to do the same thing, but they're pretty fiddly and less robust.)

I found myself in a similar situation not long ago, when I wanted to record some of the SWAM stuff into a desktop arrangement. I like how the ROLI Noise app makes them slick to use. Despite the results you can achieve, the SWAM VST UI isn't sleek like Equator. :)

1 person likes this

I'd like to add my voice in support of getting SWAM support in AUv3 in iOS. That is what I am most waiting for after having bought all the SWAM sound packs. Thanks

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment