Start a new topic
Answered

has anyone tried noise on an older i-device

Not being an apple owner I am keen to try out noise and was hoping someone would be able to confirm if it is 

a) downloadable on older devices such as the ipda 2

b) functional

thanks

Best Answer

Hi th3r3m1n,

You can see the full set of minimum requirements here, and as a very quick summary, here are the minimum supported iDevices:

• iPhone 6 or higher
  • iPhone SE
  • iPad Mini 4 or higher
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Pro (9.7 and 12.9 inches)
  • iPod Touch 6th Generation
Unfortunately, anything below these models will not be able to support NOISE. You may be able to install on some older iPhones but will find that the audio is jumpy and crackly. 

Answer

Hi th3r3m1n,

You can see the full set of minimum requirements here, and as a very quick summary, here are the minimum supported iDevices:

• iPhone 6 or higher
  • iPhone SE
  • iPad Mini 4 or higher
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Pro (9.7 and 12.9 inches)
  • iPod Touch 6th Generation
Unfortunately, anything below these models will not be able to support NOISE. You may be able to install on some older iPhones but will find that the audio is jumpy and crackly. 

thanks, i am NOW aware of what it will and wont work with quite clearly.

Your marketing team did an excellent job of masking the obvious compatibility limitations surrounding mobile devices AND the need for cables when using windows.

I would have been a stronger (spent more) supporter if I was to see any development outside of the existing ecosystem but despite android oreo now being well established there is nothing being reported to the community with regards expanding the user base.

Lesson learnt, moving on....

Thanks for taking the time to point this out, and I'm sorry to hear that you felt we were trying to mask the compatibility. I can assure you that's not what we're trying to do! It's actually in our interest to make sure the tech specs are clear – we offer 30 day returns so it's no good for us if it arrives and you can't use it. 

We present the basic minimum requirements (which answers your question on using older iDevices) in the usual 'system requirements' section on each product page on roli.com, for example this is taken from the Lightpad Block page:

That said, I agree that we could do a better job of making some compatibility questions clearer. Our marketing team are in the process of updating the website, which includes adding some compatibility info to the very top of the product pages. 

We're also working hard to expand the eco system. Despite Oreo, the Android question is due to limitations out of our control (see more here), which is why we can only offer NOISE on the PIxel 1 and 2 at the moment. We are also looking forward to updates to Windows which we hope will allow full support of MIDI over Bluetooth in the future. You can be sure that we'll be jumping at the opportunity as soon as those limitations are removed.

second attempt to respond, last update not appearing.

regarding android capabilities your developers may want to look at Korgs Kaossilator app on the android market available for android 5 plus

it plays 5 parts seamlessly with no lag or stutter  and can save and export as wav file

Sorry about your last post, it looks like we're having some issues with the forum – we've contacted our service providers to get it sorted! 

To answer your comment about the Kaossilator app; our developers have played with that one, it's great! There's some difference in the demands that Kaossilator puts on a device compared to the NOISE app though. There's a lot going on under the hood especially once the hardware is brought into the equation! There are also hardware limitations in even some of the latest Android devices – it's not as simple as updating to the latest version of Android unfortunately. I can only assure you that everyone at ROLI wants to support Android, and we will do it as soon as it's possible to do in a musically satisfying way – no glitches, no complications, no latency. 

I'm going to close this thread now since we've gone off-topic, but watch out on the Android feature request here for updates.