Start a new topic

Sample support in Equator

I'd like to start using my seaboard and equator for sound design, but would require the ability to custom import my own samples.

43 people like this idea

Please add Sample Support.

There are not many sampler engines that offer complete MPE support. (Logic EXS24 gui does not scale well with 4k screens).

As Mentioned I tried using SFZ files, how that feature seems to have been crippled.

It finds the SFZ file fine and that even shows up in the menus but does not load the actual wav file and also breaks all other presets unless I remove the SFZ file and the samples from equator.

Has anyone got this working with the latest Equator?

Problem does not seem to be in the SFZ file itself as even the simplest SFZ file fails.

+1000000 / Importing samples is essential and will open an infinite sound design capabilities...

+1000 for this feature.

This is biggest thing keeping me from using my Roli products on EVERY score and commercial piece that comes through my studio. You know I love you guys. I cannot say enough good things about the company and staff. All that said, a dedicated sampler, especially something similar to IRIS 2 would blow Roli up! To have the multi-control and custom sound manipulation with my Seaboard... this would be my go-to setup for scoring and high-end sound design. Keep us posted!! :)

1 person likes this

Had some old melatron samples kicking around so knocked up a quick sfz file (with a python script because they were all named C#4.wav D4.wav etc), and it all worked so I have 5 new samples. Thanks for this feature, and just to reasure people that it does work 

Another vote  for this feature.  Please and thank you.

1 person likes this
I have 2 x Roli seaboard blocks arriving next week and keen to get my own sampled sounds into equator. I have not created .sfz files before so I am sure there will be some head scratching. Would love a quicker sample import feature to be implemented.

I was able to load up a handful of free instruments off the net today and I have to say that this is a really great feature for this already great synth.  Being able to throw new samples into a patch opens up a tremendous amount of sonic possibilities.   I understand ROLI support doesn't want to deal with having to help people with this, but it is too bad that more people don't know about it.  If we had a unified user base all legally sharing sfz instruments that are formatted  properly, that would be a pretty amazing thing.

One thing that would be really nice if ROLI is still considering working on this functionality, would be if Equator could work with sfz files that list notes by pitch (ex. C#2) in addition to MIDI number  (ex. 37) which looks to currently be the only acceptable format.  There are quite a few instruments I found that provide sfz files with the pitch format only.  With some of the higher quality instruments the time it would take to get all of the pitches converted to numbers is not insignificant.  I decided to skip them for now and may take it on as a project later  but honestly I would rather spend time creating music.

Literally the only thing keeping me from buying the full version of Equator is the simple fact that you can't import your own samples like you can in 99% of modern software. Get with the times Roli, Soundfonts are so 1997. Really?  Get something like Audio Damage Quanta if you want a REAL modern sample player with granular weirdness. 

1 person likes this
Announcing sucess :)

I managed to import some instruments from the free Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra library into Equator. Those are quite simple but very nice sounding. Just a few samples each instrument, spread across the keys, no velocity layers, no round robin in those I tried so far. It went pretty smooth, but I had to edit the sfz files, insofar as they use note names, not note numbers as described in the instructions. As soon as I had that changed (eg 36 instead of c2) and restarted Equator they worked fine.

The library does use a subfolder hierarchy for the sample files, the samples are adressed as for example:
sample=Samples\Celli\celli-sus-c2.wav

Mind that the directory called "Samples" in that line is not the same as Equator's "Samples" directory! It is at the same level as the sfz file adressing it, together with the other sfz's of that library.  It contains all samples of the library within subdirectories (such as "Celli", "Trombones", etc).
The structure is:
Documents/ROLI/Equator/Samples/Sonatina (this is where all the sonatina sfz's are)/Samples/Celli/

That part seems to be working nice and smooth.
Good times :D Thanks a lot for encouraging people to try, Steffen!

Now I need some application to comfortably find good loop points and embed them in the wav files, I can't find my old Sound Forge I used back in the days anywhere on my backup discs (and don't know whether it would even install on win 10).

4 people like this
To increase the chances of this working for those of you having trouble, I think one of the main issues might be getting Equator to find the sample(s). If you see an explanation point, or a message saying "downloading sample", then Equator is not locating the sample. I suggest keeping it simple. Ignore the instructions about the possibility of creating sub-folders (even though that would probably work if implemented correctly). With the SFZ document command 'sample=', use only the (exact) name of the sample, without it being preceded by any directory information. Make sure that the samples and it's related  SFZ file are in the same directory level, which is to say- have them both only in one folder,  which is placed inside the "Samples" folder.  And wherever you find the "Samples" folder, don't move it!

1 person likes this

That's awesome news! I'm glad I could be of help. I only tried some free SFZ i found on the net. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend :).

I find the decision to take the feature instruction out of the manual odd as well. Why not just add info instead, like which opcodes are supported exactly? It could be marked as preliminary feature about to change in the future and for the adventurous mind. There could also be a few examples of simple sfz available as download to look at and try/tweak.

It would most certainly be good for this community if users started to share their own libraries with other equator owners.

1 person likes this
I just finished creating more SFZ files with more complex multi-samples. Very quick and easy. Everything worked first try! I created some nice expressive patches within Equator using my custom samples, including samples from a Prophet T8 that I used to own (using oscillator sync, a feature which is conspicuously missing in Equator), as well as some interesting sounds from acoustic sources. I wish I'd have known about this possibility a year or two ago! The instructions are clear and easy to understand,  so I don't really understand why so many others were having problems with this.

4 people like this

Hey Steffen,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get this working! Initially these instructions were in the manual, although it turned out that creators were confused more often than they were empowered by them, hence their removal. In any case, we do want this process to be easier in the future, and have fun in the meantime!

Red

2 people like this

I'd like to thank Frank for providing a link to the instructions for adding one's own samples using the SFZ method. After reading this comments here, I just initially tried this with a single sample and very quickly and easily got it to work properly!  It sounds fantastic. The next step for me is to create more complex sample "packs" so I can get more out of Equator.  But... I'm kind of miffed that ROLI has withheld those simple instructions for "creators" like me who have paid a whole lot of money for ROLI products, and that I had to find out about this from 3rd parties!

4 people like this
Login to post a comment