Addiction is a synthesizer plugin from Stagecraft that supports MPE instruments like the Seaboard RISE and GRAND. This guide will show you how to set up Addiction to respond to the Seaboard RISE and GRAND’s 5D Touch.
Step 1: ROLI Dashboard Settings
Ensure that the MIDI Settings in ROLI Dashboard are set as shown below.
We have selected:
- Channel Mode: Multi-Channel
- MPE: On
- A Channel Range of 2 – 16
- Pitch bend range: 48 semitones
What about Glide & Slide tracking, and Press tracking? Those settings aren’t important for setting up the Seaboard with Addiction.
Step 2: Load Addiction
Addiction is a plugin rather than a standalone application, so you’ll need to load it within a digital audio workstation (DAW) that supports multiple MIDI channels per track (for example, Bitwig, Cubase, or Logic).
Once you’ve loaded Addiction into a DAW that supports multiple MIDI channels per track, open up Addiction.
Step 3: Enable MPE mode
To enable MPE mode, simply click the power button below “MPE”:
Step 4: Map the Seaboard’s dimensions of touch to Addiction’s parameters
While some presets are already mapped to respond to the Seaboard’s 5 dimensions of touch, you may easily map the dimensions of touch to Addiction’s parameters yourself. The following modulation sources in Addiction each receive one of the Seaboard’s dimensions of touch:
- Velocity receives the Seaboard’s Strike dimension of touch.
- AfterTouch receives the Press dimension of touch.
- Release receives the Lift dimension of touch.
- X receives the Glide dimension of touch.
- Y is connected to MIDI CC74 and thus responds to the Seaboard’s Slide dimension of touch.
To map a dimension of touch to an Addiction parameter:
- Click the modulation source.
- In the “Mods” window, click the “+” icon.
- Select the parameter you would like to control.
For example, in the following graphic we’re assigning Slide (“Y”) to control the filter cutoff frequency (“Filter Freq”):
Step 5: Map the RISE’s Touch Faders and XY Touchpad to Addiction
In addition to the dimensions of touch, you may also easily map the RISE’s Touch Faders and XY Touchpad to Addiction parameters.
Mapping the Touch Faders
If you’d like to use the RISE’s MIDI Touch Faders with Addiction:
- In Addiction, right-click on the parameter you’d like to control and select “Midi Learn > Add Midi Trigger.”
- With the RISE’s Touch Faders in MIDI mode, move the Touch Fader you want to map to the above parameter. The parameter will now be mapped to the Touch Fader.
For example, in the following graphic we are assigning a the RISE’s left Touch Fader to Oscillator 1’s Tone parameter:
Mapping the XY Touchpad
To map the RISE’s XY Touchpad to Addiction, we can also use Addiction’s Midi Learn. However, to avoid confusing Midi Learn we’ll need to temporarily change ROLI Dashboard’s settings so that the XY Touchpad transmits on only one MIDI CC at a time.
- First, in ROLI Dashboard change the XY Touchpad’s MIDI CC Mappings so that both dimensions transmit on CC113:
- Next, right-click on the parameter you’d like to control with the X dimension, click Midi Learn, and then move the XY Touchpad. In this example we’re controlling the filter cutoff frequency:
- Now let’s repeat this process for the Y dimension. In ROLI Dashboard, set both dimensions of the XY Touchpad to transmit on CC114:
- Next, right-click on the parameter you’d like to control with the Y dimension, click Midi Learn, and then move the XY Touchpad. In this example we’re controlling the filter resonance:
- Finally, in ROLI Dashboard change the XY Touchpad’s CC mappings to their defaults of CC114 and CC113: