So, you’ve just opened up your new Blocks! Below we have a few simple steps to get you started making music with ease.
1. Charge your Blocks
The first thing your Block needs after its long sleep in the box is some juice!
- Use the USB cable provided with your Lightpad or Seaboard Block (do not use other USB cables) to charge.
- Connect the cable to the Lightpad or Seaboard Block and to a USB3 port on a computer or USB3 charger – if you’re using a computer to charge, make sure the computer is also connected to power.
- The Lightpad or Seaboard Block will begin charging, but the LEDs will not light up until the Lightpad is switched on.
- iPhone chargers/adaptors or alternative USB-C to USB-C cables may not charge the Lightpad or Seaboard Block.
- If you have a Live, Loop or Touch Block, take them out of their box and connect them to Lightpad or Seaboard Block’s DNA ports –the Live and Loop Blocks are charged via the magnetic DNA connectors!
- For more information on charging, see the manual chapter here.
2. Install the NOISE app on your mobile device
While your BLOCKS are charging, it’s time to install the NOISE app to make some noise!
- Open up the Apple App Store and search for “NOISE”
- Install the app on your mobile device – it’s completely free!
- Follow the instructions in the app to create your free NOISE.fm account and use the app. Your NOISE.fm account provides free cloud storage for your songs.
NOISE is a mobile app and can be used on any of the following devices:
- iPhone 6 or higher
- iPhone SE
- iPad Mini 4 or higher
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Pro (9.7 and 12.9 inches)
- iPod Touch 6th Generation
- Google Pixel
- What about other Android devices?
If your device is not in this list, the NOISE app may not install, and BLOCKS will not work with your device. Note: to use Blocks with desktop apps, see Using BLOCKS Dashboard.
3. Connect your Blocks to the NOISE app
Now that your Lightpad Block has had some time to charge, you can connect it to the NOISE app and start making music!
- Switch your Lightpad Block ‘ON’ using the button on the front side of the Lightpad Block (opposite side to the USB-C charging port) – you can leave it charging while you play.
- Open NOISE, tap the cog in the top-right corner of NOISE to open the menu, then select CONNECT BLOCKS.
- If asked, switch on your mobile device’s Bluetooth and go back to the NOISE app.
- A list of available Bluetooth devices will appear. Tap your Block (which is represented as its serial number) from the list to connect it to NOISE.
- Now that a Lightpad Block is connected, snap any other Blocks to it by the magnetic DNA connectors – they are instantly connected to NOISE through the first Lightpad Block!
- Go back to the NOISE app and strike your Blocks to start making music.
- Check out our BLOCKS learn page to get to grips with the basic features.
4. Updating firmware
You’ll want to make sure that your Blocks are updated to the latest firmware; this can be done in NOISE’s Settings menu by clicking “Update Firmware.”
If you have any questions about updating, feel free to follow our guide here!
5. Get more sounds!
There are plenty of new drum kits, groove kits, instruments and more to download! As a BLOCKS owner, you are eligible to download a selection of free instruments for the NOISE app.
To download soundpacks:
- With the Lightpad Block connected to NOISE, tap the cog in the top-right of the app to open the menu.
- Tap REGISTER BLOCKS, and the app will connect to the internet for a moment.
- Now that your Block is registered, go back to the app and hit the Soundpacks Store in the top-right, next to the cog.
- From here you can download your free soundpacks in the Bundles section, or purchase new soundpacks in the store. The soundpacks might take a few minutes to download (you might want to connect to wifi to save your data). Once they’re finished you can start playing them right away, just go to the instrument screen and press left or right to browse through the instruments.